Wednesday, July 04, 2007

The Dragon


Last week my dad, brother and I took a trip on our motorcycles as far south as Southeast Tennessee. Along the way we encountered a road that is known to motorcyclist as THE DRAGON. The second day into our trip we reached the dragon and rain was threatening. So we tried to hurry and get to the winding road before it got too dangerous. That didn't work. We ended up riding up the dragon in a rain storm.
Instantly, I became very uncomfortable with my abilities on the motorcyle. My rear wheels slid a few times my helmet was fogging up and I was shaking like an old stumbling man trying to go down a set of stairs. It was not enjoyable...to say the least it was frightening. The dragon was on full attack on a rookie.
After making it back to Ohio I reflected on some of the fears that I experienced on my trip. It was experience on THE DRAGON which brought me to scripture. I was brought to the great book of Revelation which speaks in a different way of how Christians will face persecutions, death and yes the dragon himself and yet we must still persevere. For example Revelation 12:13-17:

"And when the dragon saw that he had been thrown down to the earth, he pursued the woman who had given birth to the male child. 14 But the woman was given the two wings of the great eagle so that she might fly from the serpent into the wilderness, to the place where she is to be nourished for a time, and times, and half a time. 15 The serpent poured water like a river out of his mouth after the woman, to sweep her away with a flood. 16 But the earth came to the help of the woman, and the earth opened its mouth and swallowed the river that the dragon had poured from his mouth. 17 Then the dragon became furious with the woman and went off to make war on the rest of her offspring, on those who keep the commandments of God and hold to the testimony of Jesus. And he stood on the sand of the sea."

Eventually by chapter 14 of Revelation there is good news. The Lamb, Jesus Christ, conquers all. He harvests the earth and brings to salvation all who he died for.

THE DRAGON had me scared. But it is the promise of the Lamb which gives me life and salvation.
The next morning we decided to go on the dragon again. This time it was dry. It was the funnest part of the ride we had. Keep Ridin'

No comments: