Thursday, November 02, 2006

All Saints


All Saints' Day was celebrated recently. Saints are those who have gone before us and those among us "set apart" to be holy. By the mercy of God all who are Christ followers are saints. This day a celebration of triumphant resurrection glory is mingled with grief. Many forget this holiday which occurs the day after Halloween (Eve before All Saints' Day).
The only reason I remembered was because a certain church in our area was celebrating the day. As I was standing in the back of the church listening to the service a homeless man came up with a high screeeeeeching voice. He wanted some change. I had none. He begged and pleaded for about 3 minutes and I became more repulsed by his begging. I just wanted to stand in the back in peace and quiet and listen to the beautiful choir sing.
He left.
I didn't feel bad about the situation at the time, but I do now. It has nothing to do with giving money, but it has to do with my tone and attitude toward the man. Incompassionate and selfish; it seems to spill over in other aspects of life. Here I was with about 350 other people who were there for us, not for others...
I praise God that he has redeemed me a lost and condemned person. All though I do not deserve his redemption He gives it. I pray that the man I rejected will be lifted high by another "saint" who has his/her head on straight.
We praise God for He will lead all believers to the springs of living water and he will wipe away every tear from their eyes" (Revelation 7:17).

No comments: